Thursday, September 16, 2010

there's a tiny little boat, faith is keeping her afloat

Fun fact about me: I love watching movie trailers online. I only end up watching a very small percentage of the movies,  but I enjoy knowing what's going on in the world of film.
Yesterday I watched a trailer for a documentary about Harry Nilsson- Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him).  I really want to see that one (although it's not current, as appletrailers led me to believe. It was made in 2006).
Anyway, it reminded me of my most favorite Nilsson song: Blanket for a Sail, which was on one of my most treasured childhood albums: Disney's For Our Children.  I listened to the tape on my walkman until it fell apart, but I got the CD a few years ago.  This isn't quite as good as my version, but you should still give it a listen.

Lyrics:
 
Way out on the ocean
Far beyond the seven seas
There's a tiny little boat
Faith is keeping her afloat
And a tiny little skipper, with his worn and tattered coat
You see the law of the ocean 
Says you shall never fail
Use your heart as a rudder
Faith as a compass
And a blanket for a sail

Sleep for the weary
And dreams for us all
Rest your head on a pillow
And I'll tell you a tale
Use your heart as a blanket
And a blanket for a sail 

Way out on the ocean
Far beyond the seven seas
There's a tiny little boat
Faith is keeping her afloat
And a tiny little skipper, with his worn and tattered coat
You see the law of the ocean, yeah
Says that you shall never fail 
Just use your heart as a rudder
Faith as a compass
And a blanket for a sail 


It's actually still one of my favorite albums. I love most of the songs, but a few highlights for me are: Meryl Streep singing Gartan Mother's Lullaby, James Taylor singing Getting to Know You, Pat Benatar singing Tell Me Why and Sting singing Cushie Butterfield. 

Speaking of music, I finally have the new Weepies (Be My Thrill) and it is just delightful.  Favorite so far: Hummingbird.


Doesn't this doll bring a smile to your face? My grandmother recently sent me a care package full of canned salmon and a few odds and ends.  This is what she wrote:

Now comes the challenge to me to try and fill every corner; I hope you 
enjoy the choices.  I was nearly done but I had this one hole in the top corner.  
Then I laughed and decided to send you the tiny doll. Her face may be sad 
but she makes me laugh.  She's been sitting in a tin can for several years now.  
I'm sure she'll enjoy the fresh air.

I absolutely love her.  She is sitting on some tinned clams and oysters which have wonderful boxes (I won't eat them- I will probably give them to brudda- but I may keep the boxes).




 

1 comment: